Step-by-step installation on MacOS
This page shows step-by-step how to install Ancestris on a MacOS system.
The sections below are independent and do not all need to be done.
Screens shown might look different from those of the current Ancestris web site or the current Ancestris software version.
Knowing which Java version you use
These steps let you identify which version of Java is running on your system.
1/3 - Open 'System Preferences' in the 'Apple' menu.
2/3 - Find the 'Java' application in the list and click on it. If it is not in the list, it means Java is not installed on your system.
- You need to install it
- Follow these instructions
3/3 - The 'About Java' popup window appears, indicating which version of java is running on your system. Here we can see it is Version 8 (aka 1.8).
Install Ancestris version 10 or 11
1/9 - Follow the instructions below from your MacOS environment.
2/9 - Download either version of Ancestris.
- Go to https://www.ancestris.org, click on 'DOWNLOAD' in the Menu
- Then click on 'MacOS' to download version 10
- Or scroll down to the Daily version panel and click on the 'DOWNLOAD' button for version 11
- Then downloading will start.
3/9 - Downloading takes 2 to 3 minutes.
4/9 -Once done, you will see an 'ancestris' file with size indicated on the right-hand side.
5/9 - In the 'Downloads' window, click on the 'ancestris' file location to open the Finder.
6/9 - Start Ancestris.
- The 'Downloads' directory will appear.
- For version 10, just click the 'ancestris' main folder as it is already unpacked for MacOS and it will start Ancestris.
- For daily version 11, you will have to select the 'bin' directory, then click the 'ancestris' file.
7/9 - Confirmation to launch.
- A message appears asking your confirmation to open 'ancestris'. Click 'Open'.
- If you also get another a message that 'ancestris' cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer, please follow these steps.
8/9 - Ancestris then starts.
9/9 - The Welcome screens then appears. You are now ready to use Ancestris.
If you downloaded the daily version, you might want to create an Ancestris icon in the launchpad. In which case please follow the corresponding instructions.
If Ancestris does not start, it might be related to a java version issue. You may have to swap the Java version.
Please follow these instructions.
Ancestris from an unidentified developer
1/8 - Message "Ancestris can't be opened".
When opening the downloaded 'ancestris' file, a message may appear saying that 'ancestris' cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
2/8 - It's okay, we will tell your system that it can be authorized.
- We start by opening the 'System Preferences' in the 'Apple' menu.
3/8 - Then choose 'Security and Privacy'.
4/8 - In the 'Security and Privacy' window, click on 'Open anyway'.
5/8 - Click 'Open' to confirm.
6/8 - Confirm again with your password.
7/8 - Ancestris then starts.
8/8 - The Welcome screens then appears. You are now ready to use Ancestris.
Docking Ancestris in the Launchpad
The following steps apply to the daily version of Ancestris.
1/12 - Select the 'ancestris.gif' file
- It is located in the directory where you downloaded Ancestris
- Right-click on it
- Then select 'Open with'
- Then click 'Preview' to open the 'ancestris.gif' image
2/12 - In the image preview, select all.
3/12 - In the image preview, copy the image, and close the image window.
4/12 - Go back to the download window, and right-click on the 'ancestris' file. Select 'Make alias'.
5/12 - Once the alias is created, right-click on it and select 'Get Info'.
6/12 - The information window appears.
7/12 - Select the icon in the top-left corner. A blue border should appear.
8/12 - Click 'Paste' from the menu to replace the image icon by the previously copied image.
9/12 - The alias file has now the correct image. Drag-n-Drop it on the Dock.
10/12 - Ancestris is now set in the Dock. Run Ancestris by clicking on it.
11/12 - Ancestris starts.
12/12 - The Welcome screens then appears. You are now ready to use Ancestris.