While some events are necessarily unique (e.g. birth, death, burial), others may occur several times during a lifetime (e.g. marriage, occupation, residence, divorce).
The various types of events
Whether associated to an individual or a family, there are many different events.
A large number of events are predefined in the Gedcom standard and in Ancestris.
When a type of event has not been predefined, it is possible to choose the event "EVEN" which allows you to specify your own.
Predefined events for individuals
- Adult baptism
- Baptism (give a name) (CHR tag)
- Baptism (sacrament) (BAPM tag)
- Bar mitzvah
- Bas mitzvah
- Birth (BIRT tag)
- Burial (BURI tag)
- Death (DEAT tag)
- Educational level
- First Communion
- Identity number
- Number of children
- Number of marriages
- Occupation (OCCU tag)
- Religion (RELI tag)
- Residence (RESI tag)
- Social Security number
Predefined events for families
- Certificates or authorizations
- Divorce filed
- Marriage (MARR tag)
- Marriage banns (MARB tag)
- Marriage contract (MARC tag)
- Prenuptial marriage contract
An event is generally dated and localized. It can have other properties.
Here is a sample of them.
- Date (tag DATE): date the event took place
- Place (tag PLAC): location where the event took place
- Agency (tag AGNC): the institution or individual validating the event
- Cause (tag CAUS): the cause of the event, such as the cause of death.
- Type (tag TYPE): a short description of the type of event
- Sources (tag SOUR): links to source documents
- Notes (tag NOTE): notes or comments about the event
- Multimedia element (tag OBJE): links to multimedia illustrating the event