Context Menu (L)
There is yet another way of executing an action without going through the menu bar, keyboard shortcuts, or tools bar.
It is by using the context menu.
A context menu is displayed by right clicking an object, usually an entity (individual, family, source, etc.).
The title is the name of the chosen entity.
The list of actions depends on the entity you chose. That is why it is called "context". Each proposed action applies to the chosen object.
Only certain views offer a context menu.
They are as follows:
- The Dynamic Tree, for the categories individuals and families. The right click must be made on an individual or family box.
- The Entity Table, for all entity categories. The right click must be made on one of the cells, preferably in the column including the identification number.
- The Cygnus editor, for the selected individual. The right click must be made on the upper banner giving the full name of the individual.
- The Gedcom editor, for all categories of entities and the information it contains. The right click must be made on any of the lines of the entity or on the lower panel when displaying the entity's summary.
- The Entity Sheet, for all entity categories. The right click must be made on the displayed area.
- The Gedcom Explorer, for all entity categories. The right click must be made on an entity.
Context menu actions
Below is a description of the possibly found actions.
Change the layout of an individual or family
Allows to configure the amount and layout of the entity's information. This is accomplished by a template, that can be changed on the open window.
Cut, Copy, Paste
Allows to cut, copy or add information.
Add a property directly
Add a property to an entity. You will only see the Gedcom standard allowed properties.
Add a property with a wizard...
Allows to see the properties that can be associated to the selected entity or create a new one.
This selection is made by clicking the left column, which displays some details about the use of this property in the right-hand column.
To create a new property, click on the bottom option, and enter its name as shown.
Propagate selected properties...
Allows you to associate the properties on which you have right-clicked:
- either, to entities of the same category of the whole genealogy
- or, to a particular entity, to be selected from the drop-down menu that will appear.
The Diffuse also values associated with this property checkbox, when enabled, automatically diffuses the same property and its value.
Add another individual or family
Allows you to add an individual or family to the selected entity. It accesses one or more sub-actions :
- Family (on which this person depends) allows to add the two boxes representing the locations of the two parents of the selected individual
- Add an alias...
- Add a child allows you to add a child from an individual or a family
- Add Parent(s) allows you to add the parents of an individual
- Add Brother/Sister allows you to add one or more brother(s)/sister(s) to an individual.
- Add a spouse allows you to add a spouse to an individual.
- Add an associated person (example: Witness) allows you to add a witness, a participant, a declarant, etc.
Depending on the entity, or on the property concerned, not all sub-actions will necessarily be present.
Add a media, a note or a source
Allows associating an existing entity to the one we right-clicked. These are the possible sub-actions :
- Note adds a shared note or uses a already existing one.
- Multimedia element adds a multimedia element or uses a already existing one.
- Source adds a source or uses a already existing one.
- Submitter adds a submitter or uses a already existing one.
Create a global entity
Allows adding one or more entities to your genealogy, without links to the one we right-clicked at.
These are the possible sub-actions :
- Create an individual creates a new entity individual
- Create a family creates a new entity family
- Create a note creates a new entity note
- Create a media creates a new entity multimedia element
- Create a source creates a new entity source
- Create a repository creates a new entity repository
- Create a submitter creates a new entity submitter
Manage SOSA / d'Aboville numbering
Allows you to generate a genealogy numbering, starting from the individual on whom you right click.
The selected individual becomes the Sosa number 1 of the genealogy and a new numbering of all the ancestors and their descendants can be numbered from it.
Available only for properties related to another entity.
Modify the places
format /!\ title format
Opens a window allowing to change the places criteria.
Encrypt the selected properties
Allows encryption of all information of the entity.
Do not loose the password used for the encryption, it will make it impossible to retrieve the information.
Opens the default editor with the selected entity, makes temporary changes, does not save them. /!\ missing space and uppercase
Delete the selected properties...
Deletes the selected properties.
This action is final. You will see a confirmation window, asking you to confirm the deletion.
Bookmark this entity in Dynamic tree
Create a bookmark for the dynamic tree so that we can, from the menu Bookmark of the Dynamic tree, directly see the individual or family on the the tree.
Rebuilds the dynamic tree for the entity on whom you right-clicked.
Run a report
Allows launching any possible report for the selected entity.
Choose as preferred family for Dynamic tree
Allows choosing the default family and spouse to show on the dynamic tree.
If, by mistake, spouses were wrongfully entered, use this to correct it.
Register Photo : birth | marriage | death | misc
Allows you to display in the records viewer, the photo of the act corresponding to the name of the event, on an entity having a photo from an act statement.
This action appears only if the Registers Records tool is installed and not necessarily open.