Reinstall or upgrade Ancestris
There are several situations where you may need to reinstall Ancestris, but they all end up following the same steps described below.
Situations to justify reinstallation
Reinstalling Ancestris on the same computer
- If a new version of Ancestris is out and you want to benefit from it. For instance, upgrading from version 11 to version 12.
- If there was a major modification of the same version, usually the daily version. For instance, when the Ancestris team makes changes to the Ancestris platform, they will ask you to reinstall. To be notified of such changes, you will need to subscribe to the discussion list.
- If a change has happened to your computer, or if some Ancestris files are lost. In this situation, Ancestris might no longer work properly.
In all those situations, your action will result in reinstalling Ancestris.
When reinstalling Ancestris, you will automatically be able to preserve your customizations.
It is up to you to decide if you want to reinstall Ancestris at the same location on your computer or not.
In either case, we recommend you to get rid of the former Ancestris instance and replace the Software files.
In case you were to keep two different instances of Ancestris on the same computer, Ancestris might get confused as there is only one set of user settings.
Reinstalling Ancestris on a second computer
If you are to install Ancestris on a second computer, just proceed as a regular first-time installation.
If you want to have the same user settings on both computers, you should first copy the user settings folder from one computer to the other one.
Alternatively, you can also use the export button of the Ancestris preferences window.
Reinstalling stable version 11
To reinstall the main version, while preserving your user settings, just proceed as a regular first-time installation.
It should be much quicker as Java should already be installed and your Ancestris launcher is already set.
In practice, it will consist of simply replacing the 5 folders listed in the following steps.
Reinstalling daily version 12
To upgrade from the main version to the daily version, or reinstall the daily version, while preserving your user settings, follow the instructions below.
You have two possibilities:
- Either erase the previous application and re-install the new one (the preferred choice for MacOS).
- Or replace the existing files with the new ones, which lets you keep the launcher that you might have set up (the preferred choice for Linux and Windows).
In the first situation, erase the previous Ancestris application and reinstall the new one. Your personal settings should remain.
In the second situation, follow the steps below:
- Quit Ancestris, if it is running
- Download the daily version from the Ancestris web site and install it as per the initial installation.
- In case you need to replace the files manually, go to the
ancestrisfolder of the previous installation and delete the following 5 folders
- Replace them with the recently downloaded corresponding 5 folders included in the package or the compressed archive.
- Restart Ancestris as usual
In case some settings no longer work, or are not compatible with the new version, please refer to the User settings page if you want to manage them yourself.