Reinstall or upgrade Ancestris (SM)
Ancestris is already installed on your computer, and for some reason, you need to reinstall it.
There can be two reasons for this.
- a new version is out and you want to upgrade
- there was a major modification of the same version, usually the daily version, or there was a change to your device, and you need to reinstall the version you had.
In either case, it will consist in reinstalling Ancestris.
When reinstalling Ancestris, you will automatically be able to preserve your customizations.
Reinstalling Ancestris on the same computer
It is up to you to decide if you want to reinstall Ancestris at the same location on your computer or not.
In any case, we recommend you to get rid of the former Ancestris instance and just replace the software files.
In case you were to keep two different instances of Ancestris on the same computer, Ancestris might get confused as there is only one set of user settings.
Reinstalling Ancestris on a second computer
If you are to install Ancestris on a second computer, just proceed as a regular first time installation.
If you want to have the same user settings on both computer, you will have initially to copy the user settings folder from one computer to the other one. Alternatively, you can also use the export button of the Ancestris preferences window.
For that, please follow the instructions below.
Reinstall or upgrade steps
To upgrade from version 10 to version 11, or reinstall version 11, preserving your user settings, follow the steps below.
- Quit Ancestris, if it is running
- Download version 11 from the Ancestris web site and decompress the ZIP file
- Go to the folder
ancestrison the location of the previous installation
- Delete the following 5 folders
- Replace them with the recently downloaded corresponding 5 folders
- Restart Ancestris as usual
In case some settings no longer work, or are not compatible with the new version, please refer to the User settings page if you want to manage them yourself.
If you do not have any personal settings, just follow the instructions for a brand new installation.