List of places
The List of Places is a list of all places and corresponding events of the genealogy.
All places found in the genealogy are listed, with their geographical coordinates.
For each of them, it is possible to see the events that occurred there.
The sorting of the list can be modified, as well as the display format.
It is also possible to merge places that should be identical, and to define or correct the geographical coordinates of those that are wrongly positioned.
The List of Places is a two-level tree list:
- The events that occurred there
Each place line displays the following characteristics:
- An icon whose color indicates if it could be located by Ancestris or not
- Its name
- In square brackets, its geographical coordinates
- In brackets, the number of events that occurred there
Places are sorted in alphabetical order.
Green place icons
- Coordinates displayed in blue (example: [N40,0 W75,3]) mean that Ancestris found the coordinates of this place on the Internet.
- Coordinates displayed in black (example: [N53,2 W1,6]) mean that Ancestris found the coordinates of this place in the Gedcom file itself. You probably did save the coordinates in the Gedcom file at some point.
Sometimes, some places might not be properly located, despite the presence of the green icon. To remedy this, see the instructions below to "repair a place".
Red place icons
In this case, the coordinates are always displayed in red (example: [N45,0 W4,0]).
To remedy this, see the paragraph below to "repair a place".
Each event line displays its characteristics :
- The type of event in the form of its symbol (birth, marriage, occupation, etc.)
- The type of event
- The name of the individual involved in the event, followed by his or her ID number in brackets (Ixxxxx). If the event applies to a family (marriage, contract, divorce...), the line displays the name and ID number of each of the two members of this family, as well as the ID number of this family (Fxxxxx).
The different event lines are sorted alphabetically by the name of the event and the name of the individual.
The List of Places covers several needs, which are as follows, from the most frequent to the least frequent :
- Search for a place in the list, directly by typing on the keyboard the place to be searched.
- Act on a place, with a right click on a place to display an actions menu, including the modification of the place.
- Act on an event of a place, with a right click on an event to display an actions menu, to select it or modify it.
- Search for coordinates of all locations. This is done at the first launch of the List of Places view, or from the Geographic map view.
Search for a place
The search for a place is done by first selecting an item from the list and then typing the first letters of the place you are looking for.
- A search window opens at the bottom left of the list, with the search string in it.
- The first line in the list that matches the string is then highlighted automatically.
You can see above the first letters of "New York" that were entered, the search field appeared in the lower left corner, and the New Haven location line was highlighted.
In order for the search field to appear when typing, first click on a place.
The Place List offers a specific context menu when you right-click on a place line.
The following describes each action of this context menu.
Show the location of this place on the map
This action opens the Geographic Map view and shows the location of the place on the map: