Install, re-install or update Ancestris on MacOS, Windows and Linux. Java pre-requisite. Files location, launch settings and user settings.
- Install and start Ancestris
- Reinstall or upgrade Ancestris
- Update Ancestris
- Step-by-step installation on MacOS
- Step-by-step installation of version 11 on Windows
- Step-by-step installation of version 12 on Windows
- Install Ancestris on Ubuntu and alternative systems
- Java installation
- Launch settings
- Software files and User settings files
- Release notes
Install and start Ancestris
Read license and user rights
Ancestris is free software, licensed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE V3.
Ancestris is a free genealogy program, for unlimited time usage, and an unlimited number of individuals.
It is made available to you by volunteers.
Check our required configuration
Ancestris works on all latest MacOS, Windows and Linux platforms running Java.
If Ancestris does not start, or shows the Ancestris splash screen and stops, it is most generally related to an issue with the Java installation.
To use Ancestris, it is required to have the following configuration:
- Java version 8, 11, 17, 18, 21.
- We can only support Java LTS versions of java even though Ancestris seems to properly work with other intermediary versions.
- 2 Gb RAM
- 200 Mb of available disk space
- A big enough screen, 1920 x 1080 minimum recommended
Java is a prerequisite
To use Ancestris, you need to have Java installed on your system.
Ancestris is compatible and has been tested with the version listed above.
To identify which Java version is installed on your system, other Java versions available, how to swap between Java versions, or the Java technical requirements, check out the Java installation page.
Note to MacOS users
Ancestris comes with a native MacOS launcher which requires MacOS version 10.14.4 at a minimum.
If you cannot upgrade your MacOS version to this level, you will need to launch Ancestris manually from the Ancestris script itself located here:
If you use the manual way of launching Ancestris, you will not be able to write nor read files located underneath the Documents, Desktop and Downloads folders as per Apple security restrictions even though Ancestris is signed and notarized using the Apple platform. As an alternative, you will be able to store your files under /Public.
If you need detailed installation steps, we provide you with a step-by-step guide corresponding to your system :
✔ Step-by-step installation guide for MacOS
✔ Step-by-step installation guide of stable version 11 for Windows
✔ Step-by-step installation guide of daily version 12 for Windows
What follows is the general overview of the installation and the links in case of troubles or to change launch settings.
Go to Download on the Ancestris site
Ancestris can be downloaded for free on our page https://www.ancestris.org via the DOWNLOAD option.
Choose your Ancestris version
Two versions are available.
- Choose the stable version 11 if you are aiming for stability and do not need to benefit from the latest developments.
- Choose the daily version 12 if you wish to benefit from the latest functionalities.
All versions work on any device under any operating system that can use Java.
All versions work with all existing translations.
All versions are full versions and allow unlimited usage.
This shows the Download section of the Ancestris site.